A GUIDE TO STARTING YOUR BUSINESS
KEY TO SUCCESS
We are excited you want to do business in Downtown! We are here to help you navigate the process and to connect you with the right folks along the way.
Click here to View/Download our Guide to Starting a Business.
YOU HAVE AN IDEA!
Evaluate your business idea and develop your strategic plan. Some resources as you work through your business idea:
- Evaluating your business idea (Small Business and Technology Development Center)
- Outline for building your business plan https://www.mosourcelink.com/guides/start-abusiness/
- On-Line business plan templates
- Consider meeting with a business counselor and/or attending a workshop. The Small Business and Technology Development Center provides free counseling to help with marketing, finance, management and technology development. in addition, Downtown Joplin Alliance and the Chamber are both ready to help with your business questions.
What’s your name? Things to consider:
- Is the name available in Missouri? Run a search here.
- Search to ensure that there is an available website and email extension to go with your business name. You can start your search here.
What structure for your business?
- It is important to consult an expert before making this critical decision but a good place to start your research is here.
- Form Your Entity. Create an account with the state of Missouri here.
- Get an employer identification number (EIN). Apply online here.
- Sales Tax Number and other tax registrations: Contact MO Dept of Revenue.